Blog Archive

Friday, May 23, 2014

art mail


















Just received my first post card from a mail artist Vizma Bruns who belongs to a group I found on the website of The International Union of Mail Art (IUOMA) which I joined just a few days ago. I have always been a bit of  a fan of mail art which I was involved with for a while in the 70's. I just love the old snail mail and the anticipation of something arriving in the mail. I have been sending my friends post cards and zines for a while but needed a more steady flow of mail to keep the postie busy. 
I was surprised that this old genre of art activity is still alive and well and spread all over the world. However with postage rates being what they are, it is better to send over a few things than just a post card (same price up to 50gm internationally) so my zines are also flying further afield. Every day now, like an excited little boy, I eagerly await the postman and get very disappointed when it's only a bill although we seem to do most of that online too.

4 comments:

Helen M said...

It is amazing that mail art continues these days, and I agree that there is nothing quite like getting a wonderful surprise in your mailbox. You set a great example for all of us!

Jacobus (Jack) Oudyn said...

Thanks Helen,it has been a little while since I surprised your letterbox, so.....

Amanda said...

Ian and I are like little kids when we hear the postie's bike in our street! I think everyone loves receiving snail mail, but not many like the bother of sending it.

Mail art reminds me of my school days, also in the 70s, when we used to collage, sketch and do fancy writing all over the weeks which had passed in our school diaries/planners. It was a great release to wipe out those weeks of study.

Jacobus (Jack) Oudyn said...

Yes,Amanda, nothing like a bit of nostagia. I do remember the fancy writing and collage of the 70's. I'm not sure I've changed much today. Get ready to be excited I hope!