Blog Archive

Monday, March 29, 2021

MLA

 I made this tiny book when I was playing with my Chinese carbon paper earlier this year. I had no intention of showing it but given the recent awful weeks in our parliament, I thought it might be appropriate.

 "M.L.A" (member of the Legislative Assembly )is not about anyone in particular but refers to the small number of politicians who don't know how to behave. If I was making the same book after the recent events, it would not be as gentle.












The book is 12 x 11 cms of Chinese rice paper with Chinese carbon paper interleaving.  The fictional portraits of the same politician and found text convey constantly changing different viewpoints - not very trustworthy. 














The interleaving carbon paper pages have traces of the original portrait which are more clearly seen when held up to the light.

The found text from "the Madness"  a discarded paperback, suits the shifty character often associated with some politicians.

2 comments:

Helen M said...

Interesting effect from the carbon paper Jack. I like the way the smudges make everything look a little grubby. Very fitting for the current political situation.

Jacobus Oudyn said...

Yes Thanks Helen. I would have made the drawings even dirtier if I'd responded to the current events in the Australian Parliament.